as usual after a trip to costco i had a rotisserie chicken to use! this recipe was quick and easy to put together and took 45 minutes in the oven. while it was good – it was definitely missing something — maybe next time i’ll sautee some onions and garlic into the sauce..
Chicken Parmesan Skillet Pot Pie
adapted from picky palate
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (i used a can of san marzano tomatoes and crushed them myself)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pour tomatoes into 9 inch cast iron skillet. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Add chicken and gently stir to incorporate into sauce. Top with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
3. Unroll pie crust and lay over chicken and cheese. I pressed the edges around the skillet, but feel free to tuck it inside the skillet if you desire.
4. Whisk egg white with 1 teaspoon water and brush a light coat over crust. Top evenly with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.