i came across this recipe earlier in the week and had some blueberries to use up so i figured why not? i used more blueberries than called for to use them up. these were ok — no sugar so they were not sweet at all! i sprinkled some sugar on the top instead 🙂
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
½ cup blueberries
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray, or a 6-cup large muffin tin – depending on the size of the popovers you’d like.
2. Melt butter in microwave and allow to cool.
3. Combine eggs, flour, salt and pepper in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until all ingredients are blended.
4. Scrape down the sides with a spatula. Then, with the mixer on low, add the cream, milk and melted butter. Mix until everything is smooth and completely incorporated.
5. Distribute batter evenly amongst muffin cups, so each cup is roughly 2/3 full of batter. Drop a few berries into each muffin cup. Bake for 35 minutes, or until popovers are poofy and a light golden brown. Serve hot. Or, if you want to save them for dinner, pierce a tiny hole in the top so that they don’t “fall” while you are waiting to serve them.