last night some good friends came over for dinner and since it was a saturday i had more time than usual to whip up a meal.. although now that i think about it – none of the components really took longer than 30minutes or so anyway. but it was nice to have the time to prep/chop beforehand and then throw everything together at the end. RR’s coconut-crusted chicken with mango salsa, Cilantro lime rice, cuban style black beans, and some plantains. this was my second time making the chicken. the first time i made it with regular sweetened shredded coconut and this time i followed the recipe using unsweetened. it was definitely better the first time with the sweetened… just added a little bit more flavor to the dish!
Coconut-Crusted Chicken with Mango Salsa
- 1/2 pound frozen mango, thawed and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) (i used a whole bag of the frozen mango)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (i doubled)
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (i doubled)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (i doubled)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (i doubled)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (i ended up using more)
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts (i used 5)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the mango, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the coconut in another shallow bowl. Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the coconut. Press to coat.
- In large, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Serve the chicken with the mango salsa.
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 201.0 • Fat: 3.4 • Carbs: 37.4 • Fiber: 0 • Protein:4.0 g
- 1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 113.9 • Fat: 2.9 g • Protein: 6.8 g • Carb: 19.9 g • Fiber: 6.0 g
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 15 oz can black bean, do not drain
- 1/2 cup water (or more if needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- few pinches cumin (to taste)
- pinch oregano
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
Chop onion, garlic, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro in a mini chopper of food processor.
Add oil to a medium-sized pot on medium heat. Add vegetables to the pot and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add beans, water, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover, simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally (adjust water as needed). Taste for salt and serve.