i had some lump crab meat and wanted to do something different with it. a friend mentioned she had made delicious crab enchiladas one time.. so off i went to find a recipe on the web. these turned out delicious! yum!
adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- handful cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can diced mild green chiles
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until transparent.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in crabmeat.
- Shred the cheese and mix half of it into the crab mixture.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine butter and flour until pastey about one minute
- stir in cream, yogurt, salt, chiles, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper. Stir until the mixture is lukewarm and blended. (i put in the cornstarch here to thicken it up a little)
- mix about 1/3 Cup of sauce into crab mixture.
- Place a large spoonful of the mixture into each tortilla. Roll the tortillas up around the mixture and arrange the rolled tortillas in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the enchiladas, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- sprinkle cilantro on top
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.