indian food sounded good tonight so i pulled out this recipe. it was pretty good – not my favorite indian dish but still good – i served it with jasmine rice and tj’s garlic naan
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (i used 1/2 a green pepper)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger (i doubled)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (i used 4)
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (i used one can of chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice (i used jasmine rice)
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt (i used greek yogurt)
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add flour, ginger, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add curry powder, garam masala, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring.
- Stir in broth and 1/3 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in milk and tomato; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add peas, shrimp, and remaining salt; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Spoon about 2/3 cup rice into each of 6 bowls.
- Top each serving with about 1 cup shrimp mixture and 2 teaspoons yogurt.