i dont think ive ever made risotto before and if i did i dont remember! i came across this recipe and thought why not? sounds delicious! the actual dish came out ok – not anything i would make again — the flavors reminded me and the husband of clam chowder.. and i thought the prosciutto was a waste in there.. the flavor was kind of lost… i used 1lb of bay scallops since that’s what was in the bag and i didnt want to be left with 1/4lb of tiny scallops! it definitely did not look like the picture on the recipe 🙂
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cubed prosciutto
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 3/4 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a saucepan, heat the chicken broth until barely simmering; cover to keep hot. In another saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, 5 minutes. Add the rice and lightly toast 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add the wine and saffron and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the heated chicken broth and cook, stirring, until the liquid is almost absorbed, 5 minutes. Add another 1 1/2 cups broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is almost absorbed. Repeat with another 1 1/2 cups broth. Working with 1/4 cup at a time and stirring to let it absorb, continue adding the remaining broth until the risotto is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the scallops and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley, cheese and butter.