since the husband requested lasagna yesterday and i made a trip to costco today i got a huge package of ground beef. whenever i get one of these packages i separate it into thirds and freeze them until i need them. since i didnt have all the ingredients for lasagna i made this instead. i thought it was just eh.. the husband loved it and gobbled it up claiming it reminded him of ground beef with ramen noodles like his mom made him back in the day. i didnt make the coconut rice – just used sushi rice. but the coconut would have definitely added more flavor to this. i also used jalapenos instead of the chiles since thats what i had and they werent spicy at all..
- 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce (i doubled)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce (i doubled)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (i doubled)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 long hot peppers or red jalapeno chiles, seeded and sliced into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside. Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over high. Add oil and heat; add garlic and half the chiles. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Add
beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until completely browned, about 4 minutes. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Add basil and remaining chiles and stir to combine. Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges.