dinner tonight had so much potential – but alas it didnt live up to expectations. i pretty much hated it, the husband said he didnt hate it but didnt like it. i served the shrimp over sushi rice.
Coconut-Crusted Shrimp with Peanut Butter Curry Sauce
adapted from every day with rachael ray
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 chicken stock
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- One 13.5-ounce can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender but not browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the curry powder. Add the chicken stock, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 2 tablespoons peanut butter until smooth. Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Keep the sauce warm over low heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut butter with 3 tablespoons warm water until smooth. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and brush with the thinned peanut butter. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet, add the shrimp and press gently to coat; refrigerate.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and fry until the bottoms are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs, gently turn over each shrimp; drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil around the edge of the skillet. Lower the heat and fry until the other sides are golden, about 1 more minute.