it was one of those “i have chicken breasts and need something to do with them” night. i came across this recipe, had all the ingredients, so its what i made. i didnt have high expectations, it turned out much better than expected. i served it with some garlic toast YUM.
Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne
adapted from Sweet pea’s kitchen
- 1.5 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup julienned roasted red peppers
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place chicken and balsamic vinegar in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 1 minute. Drain and discard vinegar. Add chicken to skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red peppers, red pepper flakes, broth, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile, Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.