last weekend i took the munchkins apple & pumpkin picking. and we know what that means — baking with apples… we’ve actually eaten a good number of them – they’re so delicious!!! this cake was really good, but it definitely needed to be eaten warm and right away 🙂 again i used the tj’s fleur de sel caramel extra YUM
- 3 Granny Smith apples (8 ounces each), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (i used apples from the orchard – not granny smith)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins (left out)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melter, plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup caramel sauce
- whipped cream (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place apples in bottom of baking dish; drizzle with lemon juice. Top with raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, blend egg, sugar, 1/4 cup of the milk, the melted butter and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in egg mixture. Pour batter over apples in baking dish.
5. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons butter and caramel sauce; bring to a boil, then remove from heat and pour over batter in baking dish.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick tests clean. Spoon out servings and serve with whipped cream, if desired.