I wanted to make this recipe last week when i had a rotisserie chicken – unfortunately there was no salsa verde to be found in the house! a grocery trip yesterday meant i finally had all the ingredients! this recipe was SUPER DELICIOUS! would have been faster with rotisserie chicken, but a little extra work was fine! next time i’ll saute the onions before assembling this! definitely put this on your to make list!
Chicken-and-Spinach Tortilla Bake
adapted from rachael ray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb thin cut chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought salsa verde
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby spinach (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then shred the meat.
- Whisk together the salsa verde and ricotta; season with salt and pepper. In a greased 9-inch square baking dish, layer one-third of the salsa mixture, tortillas, chicken, onion, spinach and pepper jack; repeat twice. Bake until golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.