the grocery store i go to usually have coupons for free 5lb boxes of matzo around passover.. this year was no exception! i kept 3 boxes and my mom took 2 – i found this recipe over on pinterest! i made it to take to my aunts house this past weekend and it was delicious! there was none left! next time i’ll let each layer soak in the coffee longer and add more chocolate. i did put nutella between two layers but it was really hard to spread on the soaked matzo….
Layered Passover Cake
adapted from diva indoors
- 3 super-fresh eggs, separated
- matzo, 1 box of
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- Nutella, jar of (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- brewed coffee cooled (i used starbucks caramel via)
- Pour the coffee into a large flat plate. This is for soaking the matzah in for about 10 seconds a side.
- Melt the chocolate in 10-second intervals in the microwave. Stir till silky and glossy
- Separately, whisk the butter with the sugar
- Add the 3 yolks to this mixture one by one, add vanilla, beat till creamy
- Beat in the melted chocolate. Set aside
- Whisk the egg whites with a clean, dry whisk in another bowl till soft peaks form.
- Fold egg white mixture into the chocolate-yolk mixture
- Place one coffee-soaked matzo on your serving dish, spread a layer of chocolate cream on it, about 2 tablespoons’ worth
- For every other coffeed-up matzo layer, spread Nutella or a Passover-kosher hazelnut-chocolate spread of your liking, for extra oomph. This is optional.
- Keep layering thus for about 7 or 8 layers. Reserve some chocolate cream to cover the top and sides of cake, and for stuffing in mouth.
No baking necessary, just keep covered in the fridge. Scrummy!