Got a beautiful eggplant in the fresh box and thought I’d try one of the recipes I’d pinned for eggplants. I wasn’t expecting much from this recipe, but it came out really good even though I forgot to do step 5! Yum will definitely make this again!
adapted from healthyrecipesblogs
1 medium eggplant (total weight 1 pound)
2 large, firm tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 fresh basil leaves
8 thin slices fresh Mozzarella (4 ounces total)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Slice the eggplant and tomatoes crosswise into ½-inch-thick pieces. Place 8 eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Brush the mixture over the eggplant and tomato slices. Set the remainder aside.
3. Bake the eggplant slices for 10 minutes. Turn them over, brush with more of the olive oil mixture, and bake for another 10 minutes. Set aside. Place the tomatoes on the same baking sheet and bake for 2 minutes, until soft.
4. Form the stacks: Place a slice of cooked eggplant on a plate. Top with a tomato slice, a slice of mozzarella, a basil leaf, another tomato slice, another slice of Mozzarella, and finish with a second slice of eggplant on top. Repeat to make three more stacks.
5. Return the stacks to the oven for 2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Top each stack with a drizzle of the remaining oil mixture and a basil leaf. Serve immediately.