What do you do with berries that are getting too mushy to eat? You bake them into dessert! Yum coconuts and raspberries!
Raspberry Coconut Cake with Coconut Streusel
adapted from twopeasandtheirpod
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
For the Coconut Streusel:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan or pie pan. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, coconut milk, vanilla, and coconut extract. Mix until combined.
4. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the coconut. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange raspberries on top of batter and slightly press them down.
5. To make the coconut streusel topping, in a small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and coconut. Add in butter pieces and mix together with your fingers until crumbly. Top the cake with coconut streusel.
6. Bake cake for 45-50 minutes or until it is golden brown and firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Cut into slices and server.