Haven’t been posting much lately… No real reason Just lazy!
I bought some chicken sausage and didn’t feel like making some of my usuals with it.. so i scoured the internet and this recipe popped up. Don’t remember the last time i ate or made a carbonara! But this came out really good!
Spaghetti Carbonara with Chicken Sausage
adapted from cleaneating
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb haricot verts
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 3-oz links all-natural, cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 box spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add haricot verts, shallots, salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add 1/3 cup water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until veggies are crisp-tender and liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic has softened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Increase heat to medium and add sausage to skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and heated through. Add to bowl with haricot verts.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and 1/8 tsp pepper; set aside. To boiling water, add pasta and cook al dente according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot, off of the heat. Immediately add egg mixture to hot pasta and stir vigorously until thickened and creamy, about 1 minute. Add veggie mixture and stir to combine. Season with additional pepper. Divide among serving bowls, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, dividing evenly.
i’m always looking for new ways to make eggplant that doesnt make it mushy or swimming in sauce… this recipe didnt make the eggplant mushy nor was it swimming in sauce 🙂 i served it with some texas toast YUM
adapted from proud italian cook
Here’s what you do:
Prepare the eggplant by cutting the tip and ends off, then stand it up and with your knife peel the skin off in a zebra fashion, striping it as you go around, leaving some skin on and taking some off. Then slice your eggplant into 3/4 inch rounds. Toss with olive oil and bake in a 450F oven until golden and tender.
Roasted eggplant slices
Toasted breadcrumbs and grated parmesan for garnish
1. Spread sauce in a baking dish, add one eggplant slice, spread sauce on top of it along with mozzarella and a basil leaf
2. Add another eggplant slice on top and spread with pesto
3. Add final eggplant slice, more sauce and another piece of fresh mozzarella.
4.Top with more sauce, toasted breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Repeat for as many stacks you’ll be making.
5.Bake uncovered at 375F until heated through and cheese is melted.
i made some delicious baked chicken parm – come read all about it!
when looking for something to make for dinner the other night i noticed i bookmarked this same recipe on two different blogs. i took that as a sign… both blogs gave these rave reviews so i wasn’t too worried. the husband and i thought they were just eh.. nothing special or fantastic… next time i’d rather use my shrimp in something else 🙂 something more tasty! i also roasted up some balsamic roasted fennel with this and no one liked it 😉
adapted from cooking light
- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups marinara sauce divided
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta 7 minutes or until almost al dente, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onions; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese, ricotta, milk, and pepper; cook until cheese melts, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Place shrimp in a bowl. Sprinkle with corn starch; toss well to coat. Add cream cheese mixture to shrimp; toss well.
- Divide shrimp mixture evenly among pasta shells. Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray; spread 1 cup marinara over bottom of dish. Arrange shells in prepared dish; top with remaining 2 cups marinara. Sprinkle shells evenly with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until shrimp is done.