Time for a secret recipe club recipe again! This month I was assigned Nichole from cookaholic wife. After checking out the blog and all the yummy looking recipes I decided on this pound cake. Lemon AND strawberries??? What could be better? The pound cake itself was nice and on the lighter side. The strawberry coulis was delicious, I could drink it by itself! Yum!
Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis
adapted from cookaholicwife
Strawberry Coulis Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into chunks (I used defrosted frozen berries)
3 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. freshly squeeze lemon juice
1/4 cup water
Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake Ingredients:
zest of one lemon
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and water to a blender. Puree until smooth.
2. Pour the strawberry mixture into a fine strainer over a large bowl to separate the seeds. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. Spray bundt pan with baking spray. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350.
4. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. While that is mixing, add the flour, baking soda and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
6. Add the lemon zest to the butter and sugar mixture. Then add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each egg.
7. Combine the buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract in a large measuring cup. Slowly pour the mixture into the stand mixer. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides and continue to mix for another minute.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and place the pan onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
9. Cool on a wire rack for one hour. Using a butter knife, gently separate the sides of the cake from the pan and flip over. Let pound cake continue to cool on the wire rack for another hour before serving.
10. To serve, cut into slices and drizzle with strawberry coulis.